[LMB] Re: Textev for Mark's Status

Jessy Brody jessybrody at gmail.com
Mon, 9 May 2005 21:51:24 +0100

<snip>

Mary:
> And I figure Gregor would stack the  committee so the spirit of the law
would turn out to be what he wanted  it to be, anyway--

Well, within reason. The fossils in the Council have petrified ideas,
not petrified brains, and they'd notice if Gregor appointed an
all-Progressive team. Then they'd complain.

(Isn't it a little funny how we're all on a first-name basis with an Emperor?)

Mary:
> the committee would
> just be hammering out the details and  stopping up the loopholes

My impression is that up till now (Vormuir's case, that is), there
hasn't really been any legislation to deal with clones and cloning
(bio-law), and the committee is tasked with creating a Barrayaran set
of laws to deal with that issue not quite out of whole cloth, but from
the ground up.

Mary:
> which if it's
> anything like the US, might take a  couple of years or more.

Yeah, another one of my assumptions is that the process probably isn't
complete by the end of DI.

JLB
--
Welcome to Triage -Kurt Vonnegut
He was never noisy and lacked the dogmatism of the insecure -written