[LMB] Re: Lois-Bujold digest, Vol 1 #5087 - 22 msgs

Nancy L. Barber nlbarber at alum.emory.edu
Sun, 29 May 2005 16:23:47 -0400

>Just out of curiosity... Is it normal / is anyone else getting
>summaries that say 22 messages (like the one referenced here), but the
>index only has 16? Just wanted to make sure something wasn't freaking
>out (and waited until I'd seen it happen several times to say
>something)

IIRC, the explanation is that the listserv counts *lines* in the list of
messages for the digest, and not actual messages.  Any message whose
subject wraps to the next line will get counted as 2 (or 3 if really long).
This works out for the digest listing you included in your message.

I'll try to verify this from my mail archives, and add it to the FAQ.

     Nancy Barber