[LMB] (news) _The Sharing Knife_ duology

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Thu Oct 27 23:35:33 BST 2005

Hi all --

    I am very pleased to report that Eos/HarperCollins has bought the
rights to _The Sharing Knife_.  Plans are to publish it in two volumes,
the first sometime in the fall of 2006, (earlier than I was expecting)
and the second, if the schedule permits, some six to nine months
thereafter.  (So readers won't be stuck waiting a whole year for the
second half of the story.)

    I am quite happy with this, as now no one will be asking me to make
major cuts for mere length, a possibility, or threat, I was not looking
forward to.  This past year I've really enjoyed writing this story just
the way it seemed to want to flow, without the constraints that tend to
stem from anxiety over marketing considerations, contract deadlines, and
all that.  As a result it will be slightly different from my more usual
style in, well, several ways in addition to falling into two parts, but
that's probably going to be the most apparent.

    Although I was suspecting as early as last winter that it might
indeed undergo mitosis, I wrote it as a single volume, so the editorial
pass is doubtless going to include some adjustments to the transition
into the second half, which is currently a simple jump-cut and then the
action continues, like "Aragorn sped on up the hill." only rather less
fraught.  The first volume is should work fairly well as a temporary
stand-alone, as it ends at a very organic point of semi-closure that
I've had my eye on for the purpose ever since it became clear to me how
long this one was going to run.   The second half is more problematic,
but by the time the second volume is published, the first should still
be widely available.  (And perhaps someday someone will publish an
omnibus edition and put it all back together, like _Cordelia's Honor_.)

    My editor and I have not yet discussed sub-titles for the individual
halves, although I have a few ideas in that direction.   The book's
working title till I was about nine-tenths through was the eponymous
_Dag & Fawn_, so I suppose I could subtitle each with the name of the
character it most concentrates upon.  Other possibilities include but
are not limited to, _The Sharing Knife, vol. 1: Dag and Fawn_, and _The
Sharing Knife, vol. 2: The Wide Green World_, although at one point I
really hankered after that latter for the title of a potential sequel.
Well, we'll see.  Better ideas may yet occur.

    Ta, Lois.