[LMB] OT: Filk Serenity/Firefly

Victoria L'Ecuyer vlecuyer at ksu.edu
Fri Sep 30 23:42:50 BST 2005

Catherine McLean posted her Creepy Christmas Filk, so I've been inspired to post this. The official site for the movie posted "a call to all balladeers". http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/
(Because they used "balladeer" and not "filker" I confess I didn't clue into the fact that I could post the notice here. Bad me.)

Anyway. The appropriate muse came along and whapped me on the back of the head, so I thought I'd share, too. This is, of course, the first draft. I'm already wanting to tweak it.

The Battle of Serenity Valley  (ttto: Battle Hymn of the Republic)

His eyes had seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He went fighting for the frontier where the freedom fighters warred;
He did fire off his off his guns at that bloody, valley horde.
Mal's troops went marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Mal kept fighting on.

The lieutenant, generals, officers were killed off, man by man.
He took over troops and soldiers when their leaders all went down;
he greeted every bloody dawn with a manic kind of laugh;
Mal's troops kept marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Mal kept fighting on.

He did read a fiery Gospel writ with flaming guns and steel;
"As you fight us, you condemners, so with you we rebels deal!"
"Let settlers and independents, not be underneath the heel!"
Sang Mal's troops, marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! They kept fighting on.

He sent forth all commands and never once did call retreat;
He sifted out strong-hearted men, and never once thought of "defeat";
He swiftly called for backup from a battered, bloody fleet
And Mal kept marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! He kept them marching on.

(legato/slow, funereal)

Then the guns went silent, bodies rotted where they lay;
The Alliance took that valley, like a slow, tsunami wave;
The Independents left their soldiers; a victory betrayed.
But Mal kept marching on.
Gorram! Gorram! What a helluva way to die! Gorram! Gorram! What a
helluva way to die!
Gorram! Gorram! What a helluva way to die! But, Mal kept marching on.

In the treaty time that followed, he rallied all ones that lived;
he called the injured to him, for the little left to give
since generals left them abandoned on the ground
Mal's troops are dead and gone.
Gorram! Gorram! What a helluva way to die! Gorram! Gorram! What a
helluva way to die!
Gorram! Gorram! What a helluva way to die! Yet Mal kept marching on.

(resume normal speed)

Now he's gone beyond that place and sailed into the black;
Trading, stealing, smuggling, and seeing to his back
And so the worlds shall all be scorned, and he won't know the lack,
'cause Mal keeps marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Mal keeps fighting on.

Victoria