[LMB] HH chapter 10

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Fri Apr 7 01:18:59 BST 2006

At 10:35 AM 4/6/2006, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

>--- Alfred Kelgarries <alfredkelgarries at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
> > >Wasn't life expectancy at the time of the
> > >Goths something like 35 - 40 years, depending? I
> > > think I had heard something like that.
>
>You might have heard it; that doesn't mean it's true.
>It might just mean that a lot of people died before
>they were five years old and a life-expectancy of 40
>is therefore the average. It might be based on a very
>tiny sampling of evidence. (One graveyard, for
>example.) I'd want to see the evidence before I
>believed it.

On the other hand, I have been noticing how many people from history
(meaning they lived past childhood and lasted long enough to have
made their mark) died before they reached what we consider retirement
age, or nearly at that age.  Dickens died at 57.  Beethoven was
56.  Rembrandt was 63.  William of Orange (King William III of Great
Britain) died at 52.    There were people who died quite old (Sir
Christopher Wren, Sir Isaac Newton), of course, but also those who
died much younger (Mozart, Schubert, Mendelssohn).  I still believe
an average for those who lived to 20 was closer to 55 than to 75.