[LMB] [OT] Bad covers

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Sun Apr 9 06:11:37 BST 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 7:19 PM, Andrew wrote:

(piggy backing)

>> Dear lord. Puts the battle-nighty and the B*stard Zombie into the
>> shade,
>> now, doesn't it?
>>
>> And speaking of which, I think I'll start soliciting for
>> nominations for
>> crappy SF/Fantasy book covers. If you have digital images, great,
>> otherwise, point me to an online example (such as Amazon or
>> Bartelby),
>> and give me a brief outline of why YOU think it's crap.

Several years ago, I had the idea of putting together a post on cover
art of alternate history books. I started with the working title of
"The Good, the Ugly, and the Stupid", but I discovered that I didn't
know any AH titles with good cover art. Stupid on the other hand ...

Anyway, here is what I written when I dropped the idea (IBTW, I just
checked the links and they all still work):

I do have a definite choice for an ugly cover: the Congden & Weed
hardcover of Turtledove's _A Different Flesh_. I found an image on
Steven Silver's Turtledove site <URL http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/
flesh.jpg> for those who never saw that edition and wish to lose
their innocence.

By stupid cover, I mean a cover that makes me scratch my head and
wonder "Just what were they thinking?" For example, there is the
cover for Kirk Mitchell's _Procurator_ (found this on Amazon, <URL
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0441680291.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg>); this
book has a Roman Empire enduring 2000 years after Octavian became
Augustus. My reaction to seeing this cover was not "They got that
thing stuck and they will never get it loose" but "How did they get
it that far without getting stuck". I believe that is supposed to be
what the text calls a sand-galley, but somebody took the name far too
literally (there is a dream sequence in chapter 10 that suggests that
a sand-galley is a large tank -  the cover art for _Alternate
Generals_ might be appropriate).  The covers of the two sequels (_New
Barbarians_ <URL http://images.amazon.com/images/P/
0441571018.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg> and _Cry Republic <URL http://
images.amazon.com/images/P/0441123899.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg>) have problems
as well, though less serious. The gun platform cantilevered off the
bow of the ship on _New Barbarians_ is going to break away when the
gun is fired (maybe not the first time, but it is going to do so
eventually). IMHO, the wings of the airplane on the cover of _Cry
Republic_ are too small (the airplane in the book was a 2 seater as
well; I don't remember if it was a pusher or not). Also, to the best
of my knowledge, putting a pusher engine on the fuselage that way
just isn't done (there were WWI fighters that were pushers, but their
tails were supported by two booms flanking the engine). Another
example is from a 1988 paperback of Turtledove's Agent of Byzantium
(http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/agent.gif). I didn't notice this
when I bought my copy, but the gun appears to be floating behind
Basil, not being carried by him (it is completely unrealistic as
well). Also, I noticed, upon reexamination of the cover while writing
this post, that what I believe is Hagia Sophia in the background on
the far left appears to have minarets (the Turks added them when they
converted Hagia Sophia to a mosque). Unfortunately, I didn't find a
scan of the cover with enough detail to show this.

--------
Robert A. Woodward - robertaw at drizzle.com