[LMB] OT: Early Internet

Adam Ek adamek at mac.com
Mon Apr 10 03:02:40 BST 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 3:24 AM, Alfred Kelgarries wrote:

> Well, we didn't have k*dd*e pr0n then, nor hackers exploting every
> possible OS and firewall weakness, and no web, so no phishing
> scams...we did have the proto-IM UNIX utility called Talk, a
> texting application across the network, but I doubt it was used
> much for naughty stuff. Too slow.

Read Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll sometime. Crackers have been
around for a long time.

> I remember when Mosaic came out, and everyone stared at it and
> said, "Why bother? Just send an email using LaTex!". Well, now we
> know...

I remember using Mosaic. I occasionally kick myself for not accepting
an offer of employment at this startup with the strange name of
Yahoo. 20% of my pay would have been in stock options...

> (Does anyone on list besides me remember Compuserve and GENIE..or
> what LaTex was and how it was pronounced? Ghod, those are moldy
> oldies...)

I think James MacDonald (Yog Sysop from GENIE) used to be on list.

Adam Ek
adamek at mac.com