[LMB] Re: OT: Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Jean Lamb tlambs1138 at charter.net
Wed Apr 12 03:49:12 BST 2006

When Mazama High School did _Forum_ as a school play, my husband Mike played
the eunuch (three boys had signed up for it, apparently in the stage version
there are three of them--but after they'd signed up they apparently found
out what a eunuch _was_). He is not embarrassed. He is never embarrassed
(even when most other people would be. He shaved his head, with some help
(he told the teacher meeting the morning that it was one of two things he
could have done to get in character, and he preferred the shaved head). He
had a peacock fan, and let the girls tart him up for closing
night--lipstick, oil and glitter on the head, and the bluest eyeshadow I
have ever seen (and yes, we have pictures, I just don't know where). He
'accidentally' kicked his master three times (apologizing profusely each
time) during "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid", and could do things with that
broom--well, anybody remember the story about Julius Caesar and the
horseradish in _Claudius the God?

And in the movie, Hero was sung (badly) by Michael Crawford. THAT Michael
Crawford (see mask, violin, chandelier, etc.). Obviously his voice got MUCH
better as he got older.

Phil Silvers played Pseudolus in the original Broadway version and when he
received a Tony for it, babbled on so endlessly that they really did get the
hook out to remove him from stage. It's not just a legend.

I still have the poster for the Mazama version on my cubicle wall at work.

Jean Lamb, tlambs1138 at charter.net
"Research is hard. Torturing heroes is fun."--Mary Jo Putney