[LMB] Tired of LOTR movies? Now the truth can be told. OT:

Kalina Varbanova kikibug13 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 08:05:17 BST 2006

On 4/13/06, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> I can be non-purist.  I liked Mansfield Park.

Me too, when I accepted that Fanny was not to be so quiet and shy, I rather
liked it.
I loved Persuasion, though :) I rather think it's my favourite book by
Austen and the film was beautiful. At least I found it so.

OTOH, AFAICT the "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow was in fact a faithful
> abridgement of _Emma_.

I liked Emma the first time through, I was not too enthusiastic about it the
second time - perhaps because I imagined some scenes during a re-reading in
the mean time and they were - abridged :))

LOTR - I rather think of the movies as quite separate from the books. There
were modifications in the story, some of which I did not like (because they
rendered entire sections that I loved shallow and pointless) - not just
abridging them, but altering the ideas. But of themselves, the movies are
nice and the visuals are splendid. I um... fell in love with one sequence -
when the signal fires are lighted between Minas Tirith and Rohan. Literally
in love :) And the landscapes shot down under... I do want to visit one day!
Kalina
--
You have two hands. One to help yourself and one to help others.