[LMB] OT: Ravenclaw

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Mon Apr 17 21:21:24 BST 2006

> On 4/17/06, Azalais Aranxta <tiamat at tsoft.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Miles takes a lot of risks but they're calculated
> > risks, like Pellew's.  He doesn't just run
> > out into the fray.

But Miles does. His description of himself is of
jumping out of an airplane expecting the pretty soft
cloud below to catch him; then it turns out to be just
fog.  That's isn't a calculated risk.  That's just...
risk.  Impulse. Forward momentum.

Pellew, I agree, is a man of calculated risk. I see
him as more of an analogue of Aral - another
calculated risk-taker.

Beth:
> Hmm, I don't see that. I see Miles always running
> out into the fray, and
> then frantically pulling things together.

Yes, exactly. Or pushing them together, or finding a
way for them to be separate and stable.

> He does learn to plan, and he's good at
> it, but he retains the habit of doing things
> before thinking about them, or even without knowing
> why he does them.

Or grabbing the main chance when opportunity allows,
and thinking through the implications afterwards.

namaste,
Elizabeth
to whom sorting hats is a rather abstract exercise at
best