[LMB] OT: Ravenclaw

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Mon Apr 17 21:33:14 BST 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, PAT MATHEWS wrote:

> >From: Azalais Aranxta <tiamat at tsoft.com>

> > > I think so, but the particular trap I fall into is that of
> > > assuming that all the characters I like in any context are
> > > Slytherin - the self-directed free-thinkers.  This is
> > > probably as much a prejudice as thinking the other way.
> > > (Though not entirely.)
>
> In my view the real self-directed free-thinkers are Ravenclaws,
> but Slytherins are indeed self-directed, and not very inclined
> to consider the rules, except in a canny form of
> self-preservation.

Actually Gryffindors are more likely to disregard rules and
hierarchy entirely than Slytherins.  Consider the differing
attitudes displayed by Draco and Harry vis-a-vis rule-breaking,
and the way Snape and Dumbledore like their students to treat
them.  Slytherins are very aware of rules and hierarchy, and when
they break rules they are making a deliberate choice to do so.
Gryffindors blithely insist that the spirit of the law is more
important than the letter thereof.  Slytherins know that the
letter of the law may be the thing that saves your arse when you
get caught.

> A Gryffindor gone Fanatic is the most frightening face of evil
> on Earth.

Yep.

> A Slytherin gone bad can usually be bought or will
> respond to an appeal to self-interest. A Gryffindor is so far
> above such mean and petty considerations that nothing on Heaven
> or Earth will move such a one. Allons, enfants de la patrie....

Ravenclaws can be like that too.  They are less inclined to lead
armies, but if they are doing something awful out of service to
an ideal or pure scientific curiosity, not only can you not buy
them, you may not even know what motivates them. (Gryffindors
will tell you their motivation, repeatedly, because if you aren't
convinced you obviously just don't understand.)

> Cordelia? I would say basically Ravenclaw - that deadly Betan
> analytical streak - and like many Ravenclaws, once she values
> something, it is an absolute.

That's possible.

~malfoy :)