[LMB] OT: Ravenclaw (and revolutions)

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Thu Apr 20 00:59:19 BST 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Thomas Vinson wrote:

> Azalais commented:
>
> > I don't know, but the mild idealists are actually Ravenclaws.
> > The Gryffindors are the ones who start throwing rocks.
>
> And Mary (CatMtn) wrote on revolutions:
>
> > How do you feel about _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_?
> > I think it  would qualify.
>
> Myke the computer does come across a bit like a Gryffindor,
> but where exactly do we put the sorting hat?

I missed this, but I must admit, I was talking about real-world
revolutions.

I love Heinlein.  I love reading him, and often I wish I lived in
a world where social and sexual politics worked the way they do
in Heinlein.  When I was fifteen, I believed that Ayn Rand and
Robert Heinlein got a lot of things right, and I still agree with
*some* of their principles.

But I have grown up now, and I know that a lot of it is pure
wishful thinking on the part of a particular personality type
with very particular Issues, which profile I happen to fit.  And
maybe if everyone in the world were like us it would work?

But I doubt it.

Nearly every successful character in a Rand or Heinlein novel is
a blend of Slytherin and Ravenclaw, with a Gryffindor streak that
emerges when threatened.

~malfoy :)