[LMB] AKICOTL: OT: Commited MC couples in fantasy

Mervi Hamalainen Mervi.Hamalainen at uta.fi
Thu Apr 20 01:19:08 BST 2006

Ok, I went and said in public that 98% of fantasy with romance is a
boy-meets-girl or a girl-meets-boy variety. That part of the problem
of the, well, fantastic romance in fantasy is that it's almost never
out of the first honeymoon feelings. Even Herself's fantasy books fall
into this pattern. (And almost all significant minor characters are
single or widowed. Except for Hallana and Wencel.)

Now I'm racking my brain to come up with fantasy books that have a
main character in a commited relationship at the start of the book or
series. Preferably, the relationship continues through the book.

So far, I've come up with three:
The Book of Jherek by Steven Brust where Vlad and Cawti are married at
start of the first book.

The Cleric Quinted series by Salvatore where Danica and Cadderly are
going steady.

Martin's Song of Fire and Ice although, errr, well, no spoiling.

Are there any other fantasy books about couples out there? Or should I
admit that it's really 100% except for three series?

Mervi