[LMB] OT: Ravenclaw (and revolutions)

Kalina Varbanova kikibug13 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 16:48:54 BST 2006

On 4/20/06, Rachel Ganz <rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Just as an Ayn Rand critique, having been bowled over by the Fountainhead
> when I read it at 18, I recognised even then that there was no space for
> caring for the weak or vulnerable. And that included children. The idea of
> having a relationship with someone who really needed you, whether old or
> young, was unacceptable. And we do live in a web of mutual needs and
> requirements, which don't work as vapitalist trades.

(just a note - is that "capitalist trades", or is it me who doesn't know
"vapitalist"? The latter is not an impossibility)
I think children need to be cared for (and LOVED) and educated, and so do
old people (well, not educated for them) who cannot take care of themselves.
And invalids who cannot cope - although I have seen some examples that make
me severly limit the latter category - only yesterday I saw a video of a
many without arms who swam at an amazing speed! I was amazed at his
willpower, and deeply touched.
But I also think that such help should not be forced. It should be
voluntary. Because when it is forced, it encourages people to pretend they
are incapable of helping themselves - trust me, I have seen this. Communism
tended to encourage it. And then those who honestly work feel demotivated,
because their earnings go to people who could have earned the money but
chose to be parasites. Alas.
So, to me a relationship with somebody who really needs me is totally
acceptable - as long as it is my choice (or mine and the dependent's) and
not enforced by some third party.
:) I do look forward to having children and taking care of them until - if
they are in possession of their capacities - it is time to let go. Ref. last
chapter of Barrayar.

Greetings:
Kalina
--
You have two hands. One to help yourself and one to help others.