[LMB] Re: OT: Asking a Favor

Jean Lamb tlambs1138 at charter.net
Fri Apr 21 04:38:33 BST 2006

We have sailing people on this list (people who actually know about sailing
and ships and canvas and sheets and shrouds and whatnot, and not just their
favorite verses of "The Good Ship Venus").

I have written a fantasy novel wherein I commit many instances of
sailing/handwaving (I try to put in as much as I can, but not as much as I
could, because I want whatever _is_ in there about sailing to be right).
_Dead Man's Hand_ involves magic, gambling, ghosts, the aforementioned
sailing, bureaucracy, the fine art of actually financing/leasing/owning a
ship in a country one is not a citizen of, shrieking about the cost of
repair bills, and wondering where the good hiding places are that the
customs inspectors won't find.

Any Noble Volunteers who would like to read this epic, one chapter at a
time, and point out Stupid Sailing Mistakes and how I should really phrase
what I want poor Gambrell to do, will (I hope) feel recompensed by the
amount of smut I've also put into it. A little less than half the chapters
are from the point of view of another chapter who Does Not Do Sailing, Thank
You, and prefers it that way, but also contain some smut (and some cool
semi-voodoo bits. There are a _lot_ of active ghosts in this culture, and
this is not necessarily a good thing).

Please contact me at my e-mail address. All files will be .rtf, i.e., Rich
Text Format, are virus free (MacAfee also checks them as they head out the
door), and with any luck will be entertaining as well.

Thank you for allowing this brief interruption. Warning: this sucker is
LONG!

Oh, did I mention the smut?

Jean Lamb, tlambs1138 at charter.net
"Research is hard. Torturing heroes is fun."--Mary Jo Putney