[LMB] Fictional revolutions (was Ravenclaw) OT

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Thu Apr 20 16:30:31 BST 2006

Irene DELSE wrote:
> redlion at sff.net writes:
>
>> can anybody think of a sf or fantasy novel  which presented the
>> realistic course of a realistic revolution, whatever the  epoch?
>>

> How about Jack London's "The Iron Heel"? I think it would qualify as SF.
> Or "The Extraordinary Reign Of King Ludd", by Roy Lewis,, even though
> it's more about a counter-revolution ;-)

	I'm going to get some weird looks for suggesting this one, but
Kratman's "State of Disobedience" actually does it fairly well.  Now,
SoD's (and Kratman's) politics are one-dimensional, one-sided, and
very blatant, but his nuts&bolts handling of the scenario where Texas
ends up in a state of insurrection against the rest of the USA is
pretty good.  As a War College instructor, Kratman does know his
stuff, and he plays fair -- his favored side does *not* get any
deus-ex-machinae assistance.  In fact, the Texans are doomed to
*lose,* and acknowledge it, and the most of the 'action' arc is less
about combat (though there's plenty) than about propaganda, politics,
and playing for time.
	<grin> Besides, after seeing sooo many "Eeevul Conservatives Take
Over the USA!!!!" novels, it was a bit refreshing to read an unabashed
rebuttal from the other side, even if I *did* have to keep rolling my
eyes and skimming past the periodic poltical screeds.
	(oddly enough, the very last chapter of the book makes a sudden move
towards the center, somewhat moderating the Right Wing Chest Thumping.
  If the entire novel had been written that way, it would have been a
lot more palatable)