[LMB] OT: Moldy Oldies

Rachel Ganz rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 08:50:37 BST 2006

> I don't recognize "PC" as a set of initials in this instance, but the
> rest of the description defines a slide rule.  I guess no one under
> 40 has ever used one.  I never took math courses, so never owned one,
> but I understand that serious students of math used a 20" model, in
> order to get more than two or three significant digits.  I think if
> one doubled the length of the rule, one could add one more significant digit.
Went to a Sealed Knot living hisory session at Easter (that's English C17 for anyone who doesn't know the reference) where they were using and explaing Napier's bones. Very nice.

They also had a Roman numeral abacus - you could see that Napier was fulfilling a much-needed requirement.

(They pre-empted logs by the way - which seques (slides) into the other wooden/bone/plastic computer).

Rachel

eleGanz technical writing and information design
rachel dot ganz at eleganz dot co dot uk

Brevity, clarity and cups of tea