[LMB] HH chapter 14

Scott Raun sraun at fireopal.org
Mon Apr 24 18:30:26 BST 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 03:34:34PM -0400, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> Gesca's appearances puzzle me.  What is his role?  I
> can't place him - good or bad, friend or foe, servant
> or equal - his relationship with Ingrey feels unequal
> but I can't put my finger on it.

Gesca is a high-ranking commoner, who (normally? frequently?)
functions as Ingrey's second-in-command.  For our purposes, Ingrey is
his boss, and they have a reasonably close boss-worke relationship.

> I wonder about Ingrey's own living quarters.
     <snip>
> A functional room at Lord Hetwar's?

Well, this - but I get the impression it's 'where he sleeps' rather
than 'home'.  To me, home has an emotional investment that I don't
think Ingrey has had for the last however many years.

> I like the exchange between Ijada and Ingrey about
> Wencel, where Ingrey says:
>
> "I don't trust anything Wencel says."
>
> She regarded his doubtfully. "He's your cousin."
>
> Ingrey couldn't decide if she meant that as an
> argument for or against the earl.

Or maybe a comment on Ingrey?

My favorite bits:

In the very first paragraph:

: Ingrey lengthened his stride and shouldered through the press. Those
: who recognized him gave way at once.

I get the impression that Ingrey is moderately well-known.  One of
those people that everyone knows, and knows to stay out of the way of.

Then, about mid-way through the chapter?

: He fell back a little, and said through gritted teeth, "I don't do
: this sort of thing. These things do not _happen_ to me."
:
: She stared. "They happen to you rather a lot, _I'd_ say."

Would you say Ingrey is _not_ happy right now? :-)

Oh - did you notice that the _servants_ at Ijada's residence referred
to him as 'the wolf-lord' when they were talking to Learned Lewko?

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org