Jews and Romany on Barrayar, was: Re: [LMB] Minorities In Europe (And On Barrayar...?)

D Echelbarger bujoldjunkie at tds.net
Tue Apr 25 16:29:25 BST 2006

Ray said:
> I would expect the Jews are pretty well assimilated
> and/or have drifted very far from many of the
> behavioural markers of their faith. <snip>
 >  If the only food available was pork
> and pork products, I imagine a Jew would pray hard for
> forgiveness and then eat.

They wouldn't have to; if the only alternatives are to break
kosher or to starve, Judaism specifically teaches you're to
do what you have to (ie: break kosher) to survive.

Besides, nowhere in any of the books are pigs or pig
products mentioned WRT Barrayar. Horses, cows, goats, red
deer.. but no pigs.

There have been some interesting discussions in the past of
why this is so, as pigs would seem an obvious choice for a
colony: they're such efficient critters at transforming
inedible-to-humans waste into food.  My favorite theory is
that, for some reason, pigs were the only Earth critter that
tasted like "food" to Barrayaran predators, and after losing
  a few litters to same the Firsters decided to use their
limited resources for other species.

Diane E