[LMB] unreliable narrators

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Tue Apr 25 20:22:28 BST 2006

--- Rachel Ganz <rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> You should have heard the spleen vented on the
> "Great books of all time" poll. Quality and
> popularity are not necessarily equivalent.

No, not at all, but I've yet to discover a reliable
and consistent definition of 'good'.

> A hundred million people can be wrong.

And often are.

> Now, while we are agreed Harry Potter is an
> unreliable narrator,

Heeey, wait a minute, I never agreed with that. I
don't even understand what it means in terms of Harry
Potter.

> Nope, he's not the
> narrator, he's the PoV character.

Yes, but one can also be an unreliable PoV character.

> I have always been iffy about the analysis of
> second-fry fiction.

What is second-fry fiction and how does one classify
it?

> It's huge fun, yes, but is it
> worth it? Shooting fish in a barrel - though when
> you examine that metaphor, surely the barrel would
> start leaking real soon.

I'm not sure of your terms but I think a lot here
depends on the material. Analyzing fiction to figure
out how and why it 'works' or why it doesn't can be
fascinating.

namaste,
Elizabeth