[LMB] OT: Stone Age Word Processing (chip,chip,chip...)

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Thu Apr 27 20:08:54 BST 2006

At 02:36 PM 4/27/2006, Hendon, Alison wrote:
>I remember working in a Duplication Services department before
>photocopiers.
>Remember the printing press?  And the mimeo stencil?
>
>Alison
>PS and hand collating?

Been there and done that within the last decade.  There are new
automated mimeo machines that make the stencil with a photocopy
like process, and then can do very high-speed print runs.  For
the first five years of the local Catholic church's newsletter,
I did the bulk of the word processing, all of the paste-up
(there's a trick to fixing the pages so that the numbers run
right when the books are folded), most of the printing, and
quite frequently the hand collating, stapling, and folding, as
well as the mailing labels for the ones that were mailed
out.  And used the same basic setup for books for special
services such as when the Bishop came, or, occassioinally, a
special funeral.  Print runs every other month were anywhere
from 300 to 1500 copies.

Pat in North Carolina

--
* Patricia A. Swan  zafaran at sff.net  zafaran at fastmail.fm *
* AIM:  zafaran                 yahoo: zafaranswan       *