[LMB] Lawyers on Barrayar

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Fri Apr 28 00:19:43 BST 2006

> From: Scott Raun <sraun at fireopal.org>
> Date: 27 April 2006 21:36
>
> In the lmbujold community on LiveJournal, someone asked about female
> lawyers. I came up with the following response:
>
> > Per Her Ladyship, lawyers were traditionally female. They got to be
> > the legal eagles from enforcing the anti-mutant traditions, which
> > led to overseeing marriages (remember the pre-marriage inspection?),
> > which led to marriage contracts, which led to all contracts, which
> > led to lawyer being a female profession.
>
> I can't remember exactly when and where she said this.  I don't think
> it was on-list - my quick search through the archives didn't turn
> anything up.  Anyone else remember her saying this in person?  If so,
> can you remember when and where?

Ahem, maybe you need a archive of your own posts, the key word is
'attorney'

http://lists.herald.co.uk/pipermail/lois-bujold/2005-May/030228.html

=Scott Raun=According to Her Ladyship in conversation in Mpls, attorney is
traditional female role.  This grew out their role as conservator's of
the gene pool - they had to write the marriage contracts, and from
this law came to be "women's work".=

Little Egret