[LMB] HH chapter 13

PAT MATHEWS mathews55 at msn.com
Fri Apr 28 02:33:14 BST 2006

>From: "Richard Suitor" <rsuitor at gmail.com>
>>
>I'm referring to the scene in "Mirror Dance" where Miles buys it.
>THey have one survival pod, which is occupied.  The occupant is dumped
>and Miles is put in.  Immediately.
>

>That subsequent realization would be a terrible thing to have to live
>through.  I suppose it is no worse for an officer than sending out a
>mission that has to be done, but is likely to suffer heavy or total
>casualties, but that is an intellectual evaluation.  I feel that the
>reality would be worse.

Yes. An experiment was done (thought or VR only!) proving that while people
faced with a choice of saving one person or saving five would save the five
and let the one die --- but phrase it as deliberately *killing* the one
person for the same result, most people would and could not.

Elli seemed awfully cold-blooded in that decision, but of course it was no
such thing. She was acting from her gut, which told her Miles is
All-Important. She loved him. That added accelerant to the fire.

Pat