[LMB] OT: Moldy TCP/IP

Richard Suitor rsuitor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:02:28 BST 2006

On 4/28/06, Adam Ek <adamek at mac.com> wrote:

> I remember taking a Numerical Analysis class in 1983. Twenty-five
> students had to share two Apple IIe computers. The problem was that
> the Fortran programs would take about 30 minutes to run and every two
> hours or so the computer would overheat. Plus, the computer would
> start to give garbage results just before it overheated.

Fan.  Once they got loaded up, they needed a fan.   The original ]['s
needed their chips reset in their sockets, periodically, after they'd
aged a bit - contacts got a bit flaky.  During cold weather it was a
good idea to have a ground around, too, to touch before touching the
computer.   One could get lots of experience points with these things
:<).

Pascal and Fortran both ran on interpreted virtual machines.  Hard to
do any real work with them.  Visicalc was done in assembler and purred
along just fine.  There was a lot of moaning when Pascal came out and
it was realized how it was done - but if they hadn't done it that way,
we wouldn't have had it.

Richard