[LMB] The ComConsole Draws Nearear...

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Fri Apr 28 14:31:07 BST 2006

At 04:33 AM 4/28/2006, Phil Boswell wrote:
>On 28/04/06, Kalina Varbanova <kikibug13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/28/06, Alfred Kelgarries <alfredkelgarries at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Programming By Voice Only:
> > > http://voicecode.iit.nrc.ca/VoiceCode/public/ywiki.cgi
> > Nice... that would mean programming requires more privacy,
> on the other
> > hand... four programmers and two testers in one office...
> would mean very
> > high noise levels... :)
>
>Easily managed even with current equipment...look at the density of
>desks in a call-centre. If your mikes are set up properly you
>would be
>able to speak really very quietly and be picked up fine. As for
>cancelling ambient noise, if this is possible in a helicopter
>cockpit,
>it should be possible in even a small office :-)
>--
>Phil

A good call center telephone headset has a very highly
directional mic that is very good at missing ambient noise from
other work pods.  You do have to remember though, to avoid
picking up breathing noise, pops, clicks, etc. from speech, and
other assorted noise from around your mouth, to position the mic
itself a thumbs's width below your mouth.  Picks up the sound of
speech just fine and misses the other noise.  My former
wonderful job (I adored that job, and miss it terribly) was as a
voice/data/LAN tech for a 500 computer/1200 phone circuit call
center for a Fortune 500 company.  Unfortunately, we got sold,
and the new owner gutted the center.  We went from 975 employees
when we were bought to barely over 200 by the time I was laid
off cause they didn't need a second tech to run the call floor
any more.

Pat in North Carolina

--
* Patricia A. Swan  zafaran at sff.net  zafaran at fastmail.fm *
* AIM:  zafaran                 yahoo: zafaranswan       *