[LMB] OT: Stone Age Word Processing (chip,chip,chip...)

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Fri Apr 28 16:55:30 BST 2006

At 01:33 PM 4/27/2006, Sylvus Tarn wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 12:39 -0500, Alfred Kelgarries wrote:
> > Correctype. Anybody remember correctype?
>
>Not to mention corrasible paper---I used to type up (and edit!) other
>student papers, and couldn't've survived all my typoes without it.  But
>then I switched a new college, and discovered that $60, not $15
>typewriter tuneups are the norm.

In 1954, it was still permissible to submit handwritten work in
college.  I did get a typewriter, taught myself to type, kind of, and
used nothing but Corrasible Bond.  I actually reached the ability to
touch type while I was in the USN, as I was on the coding board, and
having to type page after page of random 5-letter code groups made
touch typing mandatory if one wanted ever to get any sleep.  Later,
still before computers, I found that when I used a Selectric, I typed
nearly everything three times--once forward, once backward, erasing
mistakes, and once more forward, correctly, this time.  The only
thing changed on the computer is that I just have to backspace
instead of type backward.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net