[LMB] SP: TSK: Beguilement Chapter 7

Tzivia Adler tadler at yeshivanet.com
Thu Dec 7 22:01:13 GMT 2006

> Chapter 7

> from victoria:
> The missing farm family returns and takes over their home. Fawn defends
> Dag character, and Dag does the inscrutable thing. The farmwife, Petti,
> feels the need to warn Dag off Fawn. Dag protests his innocence. He
> resolves to leave with Fawn despite his initial plans to leave her behind.
> The knife is both a reason and an excuse.
over about 15 pages of interaction, we pick up a lot of cultural details
about farmers, and some about lakewalkers and malices.  it should be dull,
with no action but a family settling back into their house, but somehow its
not.  (what a great book!)
one cultural thing of note:  a woman can boss the menfold something fierce
if it is in her nature.  ma petti has the boys jumping!

one particularly interesting bit over dinner, discussing what had happened
as prisoners of the mud-men.  a child was sick.  the mom wanted to take it
to a doctor.  the mud-men cured the sickness by... eating the child.  dag is
not shocked enough

sassa: used to it, are you?  but it was a child!
dag: everyone is someone's child.
petti:  looks up sharply.

did dag just change one sniffy farm woman's opinion of at least some
lakewalkers?

later petti puts fawn to bed.  'a day ago fawn would have given anything to
trade ehr strange man helper for a strange woman.  tonight, the desire was
oddly reversed."  fawn is noticing things about herself!

ma petti noticed too, and tells dag off pretty sharply.  the romance between
teh two is vigorously denied.

> Other discoveries:
> Dag has been on all patrolling groups twice. That took about 14 years .
> Dag was 35 at the loss of his hand + that happened 20 years ago. Dag is
> roughly 55 years old.

i missed that bit.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.