[LMB] SP: TSK: Beguilement Chapter 14

Victoria L'Ecuyer vlecuyer at ksu.edu
Tue Dec 12 19:03:09 GMT 2006

Chapter 14

Dag plans for Fawn's "winning". I assume marriage since they've already
declared a lifetime commitment and display a strong emotional bond.

Fawn is back to being taken for granted and Sunny Sawman comes visiting.
We find out that Sunny encouraged her infatuation despite his
"understanding" with the neighbor. dratsaB. Fawn is now un-enchanted
despite his good looks and all but whacks him with a cast iron frying
pan for his rudeness and lewdness and self centeredness. Sunny was more
relieved that she miscarried than worried she had been threatened. Now
he wants to take up where he left off until Dag interferes and kicks him
out. Sunny tries to pick a fight, but flees from Aunt Nattie who reveals
knowing about Fawn and Sunny trysting but not saying. All Fawn wants to
do is be done and past with Sunny Sawman.

Nattie and Fawn talk. Fawn takes responsibility for her actions and
admits to the lack of wisdom. She doesn't give the Lakewalker secrets up
-- more trustworthiness on her part.

The whole getting pregnant and miscarriage was a minor hurt to the body,
but but a greater wound to the spirit. Nattie is more of a mother to
Fawn than Trill. Also, Fawn shows maturity when it comes to family
relations within the Bluefields and regarding the Bluefield's relations
with the Sawman family. Someone says the words "in love"-- but it's
Nattie. Dag admits that he's glad Fawn is not staying and acknowledges
he loves Fawn by not regretting their promise or comparing her to his
first love/wife.

Watching Dag try to ingratiate himself with Trill is funny. Neither is
comfortable with the other.  He treats her like the head of the house
which makes her uncomfortable. An exchange of customs and traditions
settles Trill -- maybe Fawn gets her curiosity from her mother? It's the
only likeness to date. Dag gets what he wants, intelligence on local
wedding customs.

Later, over supper, the truth comes out -- Dag is older than Fawn's
father. (Oopsie.) Curiosity may not always be a good thing. Plus Dad get
Fawn's age wrong. Dag proposes in front of every one at the supper
table. (Awwwww.)

Transcription Notes and Story Observations:

Another reckoning, if a more private one. I like how Fawn keeps her word
about not telling Lakewalker secrets. Part of that may be fear of
additional misunderstandings, but I think it's Fawn being honorable.

This chapter is all about culture and culture shock from the other side
of the coin. Dag is Outcast #2 trying to get in good with Outcast #1's
family by sucking up to the wife/mother in a patriarchal family. He's
sorta shooting himself in foot, but not realizing it. The fact that he's
a hunter and patient with it is the only thing that is saving him right
now -- well, except for "flushing the prey" by blurting  out his
intentions at the supper table. What a lovely, funny proposal. Dag is so
earnest. On wonders what Mari would have said -- or his mother for that
matter.

Yes, I know that Fawn lied about her age now. It doesn't matter. At the
time, I took her side against her parents in full out sympathy. Besides,
by coping with the pregnancy, the malice, the miscarriage, the
Lakewalkers, and realizing that Sunny isn't worth the fallout of trying
to get some of her own back for his malicious behavior, I'd say she's
reached her 20 years of experience even if she is a chronological 18. Of
course, I'm filtering all this through my mother's "You're only as old
as you feel." Looking at it that way I'd say Fawn went from about 15 to
20 in the space of a few weeks.

Victoria