[LMB] Re: Slash'n'Anime'n'Romance

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu Dec 14 02:50:02 GMT 2006

--- Marna Nightingale <marna at marna.ca> wrote:

> Have I somehow known you for this long without ever
> inflicting upon you the rant which begins "Women
> in Western culture, having generally been
> raised to live on figurative and sometimes literal
> table scraps, etc.

I think I've given this rant a few times myself to
various people! Haven't heard it from you, but I
suspect we're of a like mind on this.

> Me, myself, I used to have 'realistic' expectations
> when it came to choosing friends and partners.

I don't think I ever did. I lucked into meeting some
truly remarkable people at the right time in my life.
I'm not sure they changed my thinking, but they made
me see that my thinking was okay after all.

> Now I have extremely high ones, and just look where
> it's gotten me. :)

Good friends, for example?

> Besides, it seems to me I am forever being enjoined
> to show an interest
> in things that will make me more attractive to men.

The thing is, I am interested in some things that are
interesting to men. This has led certain men over the
years to think "we have so much in common" when it
really wasn't true, it was that my interests were wide
enough to overlap theirs but theirs didn't reach back.
I learned to avoid men like that.

> So -- read some slash and/or romance, guys. maybe
> take a few notes. It'll get you laid.

I always wonder why most men haven't figured that out.

namaste,
Elizabeth