[LMB] SP: TSK:B Chapter 17

Victoria L'Ecuyer vlecuyer at ksu.edu
Thu Dec 14 15:20:25 GMT 2006

Chapter 17

Wedding Plans: Registering with Shep Sower and the name game. Sorrel
Bluefield looks horrified at having Dag be Dag Bluefied, West Blue,
Oleanna. Dag thinks living among farmers is a novelty. Sunny and Reed
are chatting outside the alehouse. Methinks something is afoot.

Gathering and making the cord for the Lakewalker's binding ceremony.
Cotton has "catch" according to Nattie. Dag uses Fawn's hands and his
ground to make his string.. Fawn able, with his help, to anchor her
ground in hers after some trial and error -- something that's never been
done before.

Its interesting that he got his ground confused with hers and can only
manipulate her ground with his missing hand AND Dag feels when Fawn's
mood of frustration and thoughfulness takes over. Fawn uses her blood to
catch her ground. Dag is discombobulated.

Trill blesses their endeavor by adding Bluefield family heirloom gold
beads to the end of the Lakewalker marriage strings.

Transcription Notes and Story Observations:

More culture shock over Dag's age and who takes whom's name. Me? I favor
Dag becoming "Dag Bluefield West Blue Oleana" while Fawn becomes "Fawn
Redwing Hickory Oleana". Each culture sees their child changing names as
the traditional customs dictate. Plus, I'm perverse enough to take great
delight in the fact that neither culture is comfortable with acquiring
new names in non-standard ways. "Adapt or Die" should be obvious to someone.

More questions about Nattie and possibly Nattie's skill with mixing,
spining, and weaving. What what does cotton's "catch" catch? The
obvious, mundane, answer is "other fibers". The less obvious, more
magical answer might have something to do with how Nattie is able to
work ground magic and take different components and something brand new
with its own specific ground. Does Fawn share this talent, too? She's a
spinner and weaver like Nattie.

 Why did Lois use "felt Fawn's mood of frustration" I expected "saw she
was frustrated" or "noticed she was frustrated."   That's typical
language. Since this is coming from Dag's POV, I have to wonder again
about grounds, ground sense and ground ability. Dag is not much for
metaphors. Is he being literal and/or exact?

Of the two sisters, I'd say Nattie is stronger or at least more daring
than Trill. I'm beginning to think that if Nattie weren't blind, she'd
be out adventuring.