[LMB] Explaining Stuff To Kids (was Re:Slash'n'Anime'n'Romance)OT:

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Fri Dec 15 04:39:00 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tzivia Adler" <tadler at yeshivanet.com>

>>> When in doubt, make your tone as calm as possible, with occasional
>>> "isn't culture weird sometimes?" notes,

> it sure is.  one weird add, on the side of a store, shows a woman in a
> bikini and fur boots, in the snow, holding a beer can.  why would that
> picture sell beer?  does anyone think that buying this brand of beer is
> like rubbing a magic lamp, and a female in a bikini will be transported
> into his lap?

It's sneakier than that--the idea is that it creates a -subconscious-
connection... most people don't consciously think about it and say, "this is
offensive [or inane, or both..] and I am not going to let this ad brainwash
me even at a less than conscious level".  Instead, the image gets
reinforced, to condition the person to associate that beer and Good Times,
or just condition them so that when they go to a package store, they go for
that type of beer... that;s the way that  TV ads are, the intent is that
when someone goes into a store and is intending to buy soap, paper toweling,
spaghetti sauce, etc., they'll unthinkingly take the products they've been
most exposed most frequently to from the shelves, rathern than any of the
other brands.  The intent is to get the unconscious part of the brain, not
the conscious--and people who NOTICE commercials and buy based on what
they -cognitively- have been consciously noticing, are not the lowest common
denominator mass market being aimed at.

>>>and expound until the child is bored stiff.
> expounding is the difficult part, since it doesn't make sense to me at
> all.
>>
>> We got a LONG way with "you know how you play make-believe and dress-up
>> and stuff with your friends? Grown-ups play with other grownups like that
>> sometimes; they're games that are fun for us, but you wouldn't like them
>> yet."
>>
>> Of course, when it's something you don't want to condone, or are
>> conflicted on, it's trickier. Much.
>>
>> Marna.
>>
> we didn't actually look -in- the magazine.  we only saw the cover while
> waiting on line at the convenience store.  i think it was glamour
> magazine, or elle.  something to the effect that 'you can lose 10 pounds
> before the holiday!!!!!'
>
> my point is that, as hard as i try to raise my daughter with positive
> body-image, and my boys to respect girls, it gets harder and harder when
> we can't avoid these images.  i don't buy the magazines -- and i don't buy
> beer from that store either --   but i -can't-   -aovid-  it.

Some years back there were women who conducted guerrilla war against
extremism in magazines--when Kate Moss was at her most skin and bones
physique and a preferred cover model, someone and copycats generated rubber
stamps that said, "Feed Me" and applied ink with them to the covers of
magazines with Kate Moss on them....

> iirc, this whole thread started with slash, and 'if you don't like seeing
> a whole gender sexualized, don't read it'.  well, how do i keep from
> 'read'ing this stuff?

Put some other magazine in front of it?  Write to the advertisers and say,
"I will patronize your competitors who don't advertise in such forums"
etc -- complaining to the advertisers and getting other people to... that;s
how pressure groups get such veto power over e.g. contents of schoolbooks,
they actively make pests out of themselves.