[LMB] OT: Totally off the wall digression

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Fri Dec 15 14:21:51 GMT 2006

--- Dennis Smith <timelord at pobox.com> wrote:

> Rumor has it that SCIFI in the US having had such
> great ratings with series 1 and 2 of DR Who has
> inquired about getting both series 3 and
> Torchwood which was renewed for another year.

They *should* get season 3 of "Doctor Who" and I hope
they do.  I hope CBC shows it too, and I'm almost
certain they will. Haven't heard for sure, though.
And if they show "The Runaway Bride" it's likely to be
Christmas of 2007 at the earliest.

As for "Torchwood" - I'm not sure how (or even
whether) the show would go over in the US, where the
networks are generally so much more conservative in
what they will show, especially about sexuality.  Is
SCIFI ready to take on a f/sf show with an
all-bisexual cast and an action-hero who talks
casually about his multiple boyfriends?

I'd like to think so but I'm not sure. I find the
contrast in this regard with even the most
ground-breaking US shows quite remarkable.*

On the other hand, it's not that much different from
Buffy in terms of what it will show. I started out
thinking that Torchwood would be kind of like X-Files,
but really, it's more like Buffy - or Batman.

Of course, *I* think it's terrific.

namaste,
Elizabeth

*Excepting some HBO stuff, which mostly I don't get to
see anyway.