[LMB] Self-image, was, Mark and weight and power

Beth Mitcham mitcham.beth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 18:52:55 GMT 2006

On 12/16/06, Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:

> Miles has self-image problems, but not many.  Not as
> many as most people have, I think - that is, he
> learned (though necessity) the nature and value of
> image and learned to deal with it effectively.

I remember in Komarr that he still has internal image problems -- he
worries that people will think his genetics are bad.  He comments on
it internally during a conversation with Ekaterin when he realizes he
again managed to work his good genes into a semi-casual conversation.
I don't think he'll ever completely lose the Barrayaran touchiness
around mutation even as he has lost the fear of it in others.

He dislikes all limitations so he still gets aggravated at his
shortness, but then even if he were as tall as Ivan he'd still grump
when Taura could reach higher shelves than him.    He's not the guy to
accept "a man's reach should exceed his grasp."  Hey, a man should
extend his grasp as long as his reach is ambitious.

Beth Mitcham