[LMB] [OT] May I do this?

James Nicoll jdnicoll at panix.com
Tue Dec 19 15:13:25 GMT 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Richard Suitor wrote:

> On 12/19/06, Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Nobody in Ocenia? What does 'ha' mean?
>
> I wondered about a rise in ocean level; that wouldn't be so good for Oceania.

It's just that the land area in Oceana is relatively small so the fraction
of humanity they represent is also small.

The current fractions are:

Africa:             13.1%
Asia:               60.6
Latin America &
the Caribbean:       8.6
North America:       5.2
Europe:             12.0
Oceana:              0.5

(And while I grant that it would better if on this list, "North America"
was called Nearctica and "Latin America etc was called "Neotropica",
franky the entire Latin America thing throws me. How do Americans refer to
that portion of the New World occupied by Hispanophones and Lusophones?