[LMB] OT: Stereotypes was DOS Attack, Iraq Style...

Rachel Ganz rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk
Tue May 2 13:01:22 BST 2006

> > I really liked the way they rewrote the ending to the Little Mermaid
> > (how I *detested* the original)---

> i've read several versions, which 'original' are you referring too?  the one
> where she doesn't get the kiss, loses the deal with the sea hag and turns to
> foam?
I think the first recorded version was the one by Hans Christian Andersen - hence the Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen. And that is the sea-foamone. Much more realistic than the Disney version. Prince's don't marry dumb unknowns.

I read some essay somewhere about the Disney division between the mdaonna and the whore - (that's Walt) and the sexualisation of Tinkerbell (cf the keyhole scene when you're looking straight up her skirts) compared to Wendy. In early Disney, seuality equates with wickedness. That seems to have eased up a little later on.

(Though I try not to watch Disny if I can possibly help it)

Rachel

Brevity, clarity and cups of tea