[LMB] OT: Tolkein and Fairy Tales

Alfred Kelgarries alfredkelgarries at hotmail.com
Tue May 2 13:51:16 BST 2006

>Andersen was a Victorian, wasn't he? Same culture as Dickens? Tolkien, for
>all he endured two world wars, came from a world in which little match
>sellers did NOT die on the streets of cold and hunger - he was probably
>born about the time Andersen was growing old. Or is my timing wrong?

Yet Tolkien had many personal tragedies, which led him to a perspective that
many feel was filled with sadness (as in the Elves, who are going away never
to return, or the three rings fading, or the Entwives being lost, etc). So
it might be questionable how much his personal perspective influenced his
literary criticism...

Alfred Kelgarries
"War is the art of lying to your enemies better than they can lie to you."
Sun Tzu, modern version
alfredkelgarries at gmail.com -- alternate email for personal mail if needed