[LMB] Re: Barrayaran names

BOB!! robtjwms at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 14:58:29 BST 2006

Kalina Varbanova <kikibug13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh. My error - I thought it was patronymic. As none of the other
> auditors
> are introduced by first name ("Lord Vorhovis", "Dr. Vorthys", "Lord
> Vann
> Vorgustafson", and "Admiral Vorkalloner") - it didn't make sense to
> me that
> he was an exception.

Keep in mind the way that Barrayaran names distinguish between a
Count's heir and his brothers (item 13 of the People section of the
FAQ).  I'd assume from the introduction that Lord Vann has a brother
or an uncle who is Count Vorgustafson.  It's also possible that the
convention for titles applies to hereditary titles other than
Countships (for example, if Ivan [also known as Lord Vorpatril] had a
little brother, might he be called Lord Firstname Vorpatril?).
To use a more concrete example, if Mark were the Auditor rather than
Miles, the introduction would be Lord Mark Vorkosigan, not Lord
Vorkosigan.

Regards,

BOB!!