[LMB] Re: Barrayaran names

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Tue May 2 22:12:22 BST 2006

At 12:47 PM 5/2/2006, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier wrote:
>Kalina Varbanova wrote:
>>On 5/2/06, BOB!! <robtjwms at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Keep in mind the way that Barrayaran names distinguish between a
>>>Count's heir and his brothers (item 13 of the People section of the
>>>  FAQ).
>
>Count's heir and every single Lord-level male in the family. Even
>the second one in the line of succession to a countship.

At that, with only one level of nobility, Barrayar is much less
convoluted than the British peerage.  I always loved the nicety of
position that had Harriet Vane known to society as "Lady Peter
Wimsey" (being "Lady" by virtue of a marriage to a person who was due
the honorific "Lord Peter" but was not himself a peer).

>>Hmm. This does make sense (Lord Mark insisting to Enrique to call him
>>Lord Mark and not Lord Vorkosigan sort of leaps to my mind). I still
>>cannot fully reconcile it; I will have to ponder it some more.
>
>Check TWA and the scene where the armsman awakes Miles by calling
>him Lord Vorkosigan instead of Lord Miles. He first thinks "why is
>he using my father's title" before the big brick hits that if he is
>Lord Vorkosigan, his grandfather is dead, his father is now Count
>Vorkosigan, and he *is* Lord Vorkosigan.

Indeed.

I guess the only incongruity with Mark is his insisting on "Lord
Mark" at all--he wasn't raised to be a Vor.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net