[LMB] Re: Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 12, Issue 4

Eileen McConnell phoenixargent at gmail.com
Wed May 3 01:51:37 BST 2006

>I read some essay somewhere about the Disney division between
>the mdaonna and the whore - (that's Walt) and the sexualisation of
>Tinkerbell (cf the keyhole scene when you're looking straight up her
skirts)
>compared to Wendy. In early Disney, seuality equates with wickedness.
>That seems to have eased up a little later on.

That was one thing that I have noticed: given my age, I've watched Disney
movies during the span of that change:

from Cinderella (passive, helpless heroine who marries a prince)
to the Little Mermaid (rebellious heroine takes matters into her own
hands, then they backfire)
to the Lion King (Nala, while not the main character, is *definitely* a lot
stronger and more assertive than Cindy or Aurora)
and Aladdin (Jasmine the co-star is both-- mostly-- capable and intelligent)

to Hercules (Megara has a canon ex-boyfriend, a first!).

It's interesting, to say the least.  I wish I could remember when Walt died;
there's probably a correlation, but I'd be curious to know when exactly, and
how quickly, the changes started occurring.

Also, is it just me, or did old Walt have some SERIOUS Oedipal issues?  The
only early-ish Disney mother I can recall is Bambi's mother (who doesn't
even have a name, note), and she's shot only-just offscreen.  Are there any
Disney moms before Lion King?  Mrs. Darling, I suppose, but I don't remember
much about her.  Anyone else?