[LMB] Re: Barrayaran names

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Wed May 3 03:27:59 BST 2006

> From: Peter H. Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net>
> Date: 02 May 2006 22:12
>
> At 12:47 PM 5/2/2006, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier wrote:
> >Kalina Varbanova wrote:

> >Count's heir and every single Lord-level male in the family. Even
> >the second one in the line of succession to a countship.

@@ Slightly backwards.; It seems that only a confirmed heir, family or not
can be Lord lastname and an unconfirmed heir, the son of a Count and a son
of the heir can be Lord firstname at most. Thus Richars Vorrutyer never
made  it to Lord Vorrutyer even though he was the first in line of
succession but Lord Midnight did.

> At that, with only one level of nobility, Barrayar is much less
> convoluted than the British peerage.  I always loved the nicety of
> position that had Harriet Vane known to society as "Lady Peter
> Wimsey" (being "Lady" by virtue of a marriage to a person who was due
> the honorific "Lord Peter" but was not himself a peer).

@@ Barrayar has two levels (or maybe three since Lord firstname is not just
a courtesy title but, as noted by Miles in BoA, has real privileges, eg
trial only by the CoC). Either way there is Count and Lord (like Ivan and
his father). A possible extra level is Count non-Palatine (no District) if
there are any at present.

> >>Hmm. This does make sense (Lord Mark insisting to Enrique to call him
> >>Lord Mark and not Lord Vorkosigan sort of leaps to my mind). I still
> >>cannot fully reconcile it; I will have to ponder it some more.
	[...]
> I guess the only incongruity with Mark is his insisting on "Lord
> Mark" at all--he wasn't raised to be a Vor.

@@ But he was certainly instructed in the Barayaran rules of address and
how a Lord of the Vor should behave and on the procedure for the Emperor's
Birthday etc. For Dr Borgos to address him by his brother's title would
strike him as "just wrong".

There is no textev one way or the other but the parallel to "Lady Peter
Wimsey" may be valid in which case if Lord Mark marries Kareen she will be
known as "Lady Mark Vorkosigan".

Little Egret