[LMB] HH chapter 15

Katrina Allis k.m.allis at gmail.com
Wed May 3 12:08:01 BST 2006

On 03/05/06, Tracy MacShane <billie_t at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > it's nice to compare and contrast with Ingrey. Also, I got much more of
> > > sense of Ingrey's sense of humour this time. I really didn't pick up
> on it
> > > the first time round, and it's one of the things I enjoy a lot about
> Caz.

I keep thinking about comparing the state of their souls.  Which seems a
good starting point for some comments I've been thinking about lately.

Caz said that the very strength of their character is why the Provincara,
Ista, and Iselle were unsuitable for the task of freeing Chalion from the
Golden General's death curse, because their souls were like a sword, and
they were able to bite through challenges to their authority, on whatever
ground they considered theirs.  [1]  And perhaps here, as in other areas,
the dratsaB works differently, and yet Ista still surrenders her sharp-edged
will to him.

To continue, Caz also says that the gods can only work in the world when
someone surrenders their will up to Them, becoming a bowl into which Their
will can flow and work in the world.  Essentially, the demonstration of the
cup and the wine [2].  It makes sense too, if the gods primarily see
soul-shapes, and try to enable those shapes to be the best possible shape
they can be for the gods to communicate with them, but ignore the body to do
so, because They deal more with the soul than with the flesh.

Although I can't quite see how the Mother and the Father, and the dratsaB
ignore the flesh.  The Daughter and the Son, maybe.  It could be more along
the lines of the idea that They consider the soul to be more important than
the flesh and weight Their actions accordingly.  I don't know.

So what shape do people think Ingrey's and Ijada's souls are then?  Neither
of them appear to be as yielding to the gods as Cazaril does, and Ingrey
doesn't appear to have any desire to surrender his will to Them at this
stage, and I doubt that he will in future.

If the deep animal spirits makes it easier for Them to work with the shamans
and in the world, how does that work then?  Do the animal spirits somehow
make a connecting link between the human and the god?  I think Umegat says
something about how the gods work more easily through animals (or some
animals) than plants or humans, because humans have will to resist, and
plants take a very long time, and thus the miracle of funeral magic.

I think where I was heading is: what shape do you think the souls of Ingrey
and Ijada are?

And now I think I'll go to bed and curl up with the book my flatmate bought
today after I told her about it yesterday - _Young Warriors_, edited by
Tamora Pierce and Josepha Sherman.  There are other options, of course, but
I might pick that one.

Katrina

[1] Okay, the last part is extrapolation on my part, made up in the last
five minutes as I wrote this email.  I think it makes some sense, although
I'm sure it can (and probably will) be challenged and elaborated on until it
bears little resemblence to my initial comment.

[2] Or blood.  Some liquid that matters.

--
To err is human.  To really screw things up requires a computer.

Prayer, he suspected as he hoisted himself up and turned for the door, was
putting one foot in front of the other.  Moving all the same.
Lois McMaster Bujold, _Curse of Chalion_