[LMB] Robin Hobb and other authors

Kalina Varbanova kikibug13 at gmail.com
Wed May 3 18:49:18 BST 2006

On 5/3/06, Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:

> Some of my favourite books are those for which a second reading is like
> reading a whole new book because everything takes on a new meaning.

Sounds we can make a club... ;-) One of my colleagues doesn't like
re-reading because he "already knows what will happen". After some tentative
attempts, I gave up trying to persuade him - he is entitled to his own
opinion. But I do enjoy re-reading books! :)

I have just read the first [Robin Hobb] book and I haven't decided whether
> to continue.  It wasn't the world itself that I didn't like - though the
> people didn't make psychological sense to me, didn't seem real in their
> actions and reactions, by and large.  I found it difficult to like the
> protagonist, whose name I've already forgotten.  Yet I know lots of people
> love those books. Should I persevere and try the next one?

I liked the Assasins trilogy because it had a few twists I really didn't
expect. I didn't like it that she left many ends loose (just hints of things
that seem important to the story, and yet never get anything more
substantial than hints). If you don't like to get a character almost killed
and then revived - several times - you may think the book not worth it. I
recall 3 such revivals, can't at the moment remember if any of them in the
first book, and some forced circumstances (from my point of view). But for
me, the novelty of some things, and some of the beauty and joy I found in
the books, sort of made up for the things I didn't quite like. Me, I liked
the narrator (Fitz? Fritz?) - I think it _was_ narrator, and not just POV
character. I sort of like that, too. About inconsistencies... well, not
everybody can make the characters quite as good as herself :) and perhaps I
am not as picky for psychological consistencies :)

Ah. Believe it or not, things are relatively happy and sunny at that point.
> You haven't even started to get to the really bad stuff.

Oh, two of my colleagues got on ahead with it, and from thier comments I
gathered something - but I usually cannot resist the temptation to look at
the end of the book I am reading and I got it that things are still sunny at
the point I stopped reading.

Or at least a certain teeth-gritting stamina.

Hmm. I prefer reading things I can at least somewhat tollerate as actual
happenings; Martin's plot just... didn't fit in (Thomas Covenant's doings
didn't much fit, either, but I liked the giants and that in the end, he did
manage to complete the task; another thing - with Martin, I don't much see
another task but survival, and most characters fail in that; at least the
ones whose side I chose :) ). I need stamina enough to get through a terse
work day... and not chew anybody else out for being chewed at, so I
prefer... lighter reading (also, I read the Illearth chronicles in college;
I tried Martin when I was already working. It might be making a difference).

But I really do like his writing style and I think his books are
> extraordinary and remarkable.

Good. :) So, you enjoy his works, and if I need to bring down some agression
to characters I read about, I will take him up again!

Greetings:
Kalina
--
You have two hands. One to help yourself and one to help others.