[LMB] Robin Hobb and other authors

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu May 4 20:30:45 BST 2006

Auntie Helen said, re Robin Hobb:

> I'm currently almost at the end of the second of the
> Liveship Trilogy by Robin Hobb (Ship of Magic and
> The Mad Ship are the first two). This second
> book is 902 pages and I only started reading it this
> morning - this tells you how gripping I've found it.

I suspect you read faster that I do!

> What has been particularly interesting to me is the
> characterisation; she seems able to portray
> completely different people with their changing
> motives and foibles.

Cool. Interesting, too, because I would have said that
one hundred per cent of my problem with "Assassin's
Apprentice" was with the characterization. I don't
know whether this just means that we react differently
to characters (almost certain, everyone does) or
whether I would find the characters in the other books
just fine.

> I don't understand all her characters and why they
> behave the way they do,

I would say that in "Assassin's Apprentice" I didn't
understand any of the characters or why they behaved
the way they did - in fact, they all seemed just a
little brain damaged to me. This was a problem in the
reading. No one seemed real.

> I recommend if you've ground to a halt with the
> Assassin's Apprentice that
> perhaps you try Ship of Magic. Perhaps it's more
> accessible

That's quite possible. Or just would be more to my
taste.

namaste,
Elizabeth