[LMB] Robin Hobb and other authors OT:

Rowena morgaine at zonnet.nl
Thu May 4 21:58:41 BST 2006

For me the wonderfully thing with the books of Robin Hobb, that is the
three trilogies 'farseeers trilogy' , 'the liveship traders' and 'the
tawny man' is the way two separate stories intermingle. I had the
feeling that the world became more and more complicated in front of my
eyes (yes they are one big  series, the above is the chronological  order).

As for the character of Fitz. I kinda could identify with him. When I
read it I was still remembering the feeling of not being part of the
group/the in crowed/the accepted ones vividly. The fantasy I had then of
some secret that would lift me out of my situation, a hidden tasks/skill
I would perform/acquire, something that would make me important was
triggered quite nicely by Fitz special role. Even if it is killing, even
I can see the skills going with it can be quite thrilling.

Anyway, I can only endorse a second try if you are considering it. (But
then again, books are like people, something it clicks and sometimes it
doesn't)

As for difference between the Farseer and the Liveship Traders, I think
of the first as the Northern book and the second as the Southern. The
apparent friendliness of the Southern welcome can be very deceptive.
Revelations made me cry.

Rowena