[LMB] Old Moldy OT:

J Selin harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 21:03:45 BST 2006

In the mid 70s I played SUDs (single user games, before MUDs) over
phone-handset-in-soft-cups type of dial-up connections (not that the
phrase "dial-up connection" existed either) way back when.  The game
commands could be two words of no more than four letters each.  The
result was printed out on long rolls of thermal paper.

And my blind grandfather drilled me in math - multiplication tables
were my nemesis - so there was "absolutely no excuse" not to do
arithmitec in my head.

A common complaint with recent finance geeks (= anyone who got his
degree in past 10 years or so) is that they have so back-of-envelope
sense.  They can use excel to calculate something to the nth degree,
but can't provide a reliable quick estimate.

Harimad