[LMB] re HH ch 12 & 13

J Selin harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 21:25:53 BST 2006

CHAPTER 12:

Ingrey really tipped his hand when he ordered Hetwar to answer him.
Hetwar is a very pragmatic person, more concerned with short- and
medium-term balancings for politics and peace, than with anything
else.  Very much like the Provincara, as has been pointed out.
Hetwar is also no one's slouch.  Ingrey's wolf-backed command will
cause Hetwar to radically reevaluate Ingrey: his uses, his
liabilities, his abilities, his loyalties.  Hetwar thought he knew
Ingrey well, and knew how best to utilize and deploy him.  Now Ingrey
has forced Hetwar to reconsider.  I expect this makes Hetwar very
uneasy and an uneasy Hetwar is someone to fear.  There's too much on
his shoulders and too much worry in his life, for him to take huge
amounts of time examining the new uses/problems of his
suddenly-changed henchman.

Unless, of course, that henchman provides Hetwar with upfront
evidence of his new utility - such as detecting geases.  (I expect
voice commands to be too blunt an instrument for Hetwar's
preferences.)

Biast strikes me as straightfoward and uncomplicated; a normal person
as compared to Ingrey, Wencel and Hetwar.  His heart and his sense of
service are in the right place, he wants to do the right thing by his
kingdom - and it will be his no matter who becomes king - and rather
out of his depth.  I do wonder why the oldest two sons were kept
sufficiently busy as not to warp but such care was not taken with the
third.  Doesn't anyone learn from history?

Gesca is, of course, reporting to Wencel if he's reporting to anyone.

CHAPTER 13:
> Kalina wrote:
> As a matter of fact, Wencel is so mysterious he almost steals
> the show.  And his incredible self-possession is spooky but it
> does incite trust

Not in me.  It incites lack of trust.  Wencel's sudden historical
bent, savoir-faire, poise, and air of command (sudden as compared to
Ingrey's decade-old memories) makes me very distrustful.  This is
compounded when Wencel's descriptions of history sound like personal
histories.  How does he know it took the old Wealdian king hours to
die in the pit?  How does he know enough about burning to death to
not recommend it in such concrete manner?

What Wencel incites in me is wondering.  Specifically, wondering
whether people's souls, as well as animals', can be preserved through
the centuries.

> Elizabeth wrote:
> I didn't mind it that [Wencel] seemed above himself; it did
> bother me that they seemed to accept his assumption without
> questioning it.

Wencel is a very senior lord in a feudal society.  Ingrey is a
disgraced minor lordling-heir and Ijada barely registers in the
Register.  Of course he's superior and they accept it: by the rules
of their society, he is.

Ingrey's unhealing would is strongly reminiscent of the Christian
fable of the Fisher King.

My first read through the book, I was starting to realize there was a
shift going on from what the original plot (Boleso's death and court
politics) to something more arcane and religious.  I was still
muddled as to where it was going and why.

Harimad