[LMB] OT: Moldy Oldies

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Sat May 6 13:36:14 BST 2006

Dave Marquardt writes

Me> The VAX was a big step forward since every VAX contained
Me> a micro-VAX to boot with and that booted from ROM.

Dave>I thought it was an LSI-11, or at least I thought so for the
Dave>VAX-11/780s I managed.

You're probably right. I never did much work on the VAX. I do
think the management at DEC missed the mark when they didn't
repackage the LSI-11 as a desktop instead of a rack mount and
push them out ahead of IBM. The OS was certainly more stable
than DOS 1.

I moved to programming on mainframes (after a stint in safeguards
and security). Anyone else remember how Asimov came up with
"Multivac" for his supercomputers"

Bill Wenrich
"...a hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."
  -C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man