[LMB] HH ch 14

J Selin harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 14:27:24 BST 2006

One of the most interesting, question-provoking scenes in the book.

Hardly the most important, but my first observation is for the line
"Those who recognized him gave way at once" when Ingrey was
shouldering his path through the mourners (gawkers?) at Boleso's
funeral.  Great image, subtly embedded in a line.  It implies that
one, that he is known by sight to a significant number of the elite
and their minions; two, his dangerous reputation is known; and three,
he doesn't always look dangerous.

And now on to the show!

The Son doesn't seem to have any trouble with the animals, only that
they prevent their, er, investees from entering the gates.  So why,
then, did the Darcathians and the new Wealdians consider it black
magic?  I wonder what the old Wealdians' neighbors thought about it,
at the time.  Did miracles and saints happen amongst the old
Wealdians?  If so, you'd think that was strong evidence that the Gods
didn't object.

*Why* can't investees pass the Gods' gates?

What did the Son do, to set Ingrey and Ijada along this path?  Given
Ijada's role in Boleso's death (and therefore in the necessity of his
being freed of his animal spirits), did the Son start her along the
path before that, or did he take advantage when she became inhabited?
 Why did she become inhabited at all?

Whose redemption is it, anyway?  Boleso is the obvious answer but I
also wondered what happens to animals?  To special animals like
Ingrey's wolf, who have uber-spirits?  As the chapter unfolds it
becomes clear to us that it is also Ijada's redemption.  That,
perhaps, is more important to justice for Boleso; it certainly is for
Ingrey.

Why does the Son resist passing judgment?  The Son refers to the
Father as the judicar instead.  Do all souls stand before the Father
at some point or is it only the ones who are devoted/chosen by the
Father?  If so, that sounds like uneven application of justice to me.
 I am not pleased with the Son shifting the burden of judgment onto a
mortal; Gods see differently.  And asking Ingrey if he'd rather stand
before the Father instead sounds like a cop-out: I'll let you out of
divine justice if you let someone else avoid it as well.  There would
be no justice at all if that were really the deal.

We know something of 5G heaven; sundering is like the more pleasant
of Dante's circles of purgatory; is there a hell?  Is the 5G "heaven"
all good, like the Christian heaven; or is it all the non-sundered
afterlife options, like the Buddhist version?

Why can't the Gods touch the animal spirits?  That the Son says "It
is well" when the first beast pulled from Boleso, sorts of
disappears, implies some connection between the Son (or all Gods?)
and animals.

Does Boleso deserve mercy?

Does the Son (or any of the Gods) know what happens to the last
shaman, and chooses to keep that knowledge from Ingrey.  We know the
Gods are parsimonious and they avoid clear instructions.

Ingrey, when he returns to Wencel's house, is NOT subtle.  What
problems will this cause later.

I really want to know what Lewko perceived.  And what Wencel
perceived.  Given their differing sources of insight, the differences
should be enlightening.

And, suddenly, at the end of the chapter, we learn the *real*
plotline of the book: the freeing of the 4000 of Holyfield.  How long
have the Gods been working towards this one?!?  With that many, there
must be devotees of all Five.  Can the Gods cooperate?  What does it
look like when they do?

Sidenote: I think Ingrey's insistence on solving their mundane
problems is his digging in his heels, resisting the supernatural.
Even if his analysis is correct.