[LMB] HH ch 14

Kalina Varbanova kikibug13 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 21:01:14 BST 2006

On 5/7/06, J Selin <harimad2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Son doesn't seem to have any trouble with the animals, only that they
> prevent their, er, investees from entering the gates.  So why, then, did the
> Darcathians and the new Wealdians consider it black magic?

I think the Darthacians thought it black magic because 1. they couldn't do
it and 2. it gave their enemies considerable physical prowess and unnatural
powers and 3. it involved human sacrifice.

I wonder what the old Wealdians' neighbors thought about it, at the time.

I think we had a glimpse of that back when Ingrey was considering suicide.
About the swamp people that Ijada grew up among - they found ways to deal
with it. Like bleeding their enemies...

Did miracles and saints happen amongst the old Wealdians?  If so, you'd
> think that was strong evidence that the Gods didn't object.

I think that yes, miracles and saints did happen among the old Wealdians,
and yes, it was strong evidence that the gods didn't object, which the
Darthacans completely ignored. When they moved out, the Wealdians were too
indoctrinated and ignorant to go back. Well, most of them.

What did the Son do, to set Ingrey and Ijada along this path?

I think that Ijada was going that way since her childhood (her father was,
after all, dedicated to the Son - officer-dedicat? I may be recalling
somewhat off the exact title. But when Ijada is attacked by Boleso, she
turns to the Son - and by that time she has already inherited her lands and
visited them, so she's firmly on the path.

Ingrey - I think from the time he saw the young wolf - as the dratsaB said,
my brother's dog (I don't have it in English, it may be another word) - the
wolf belongs to the Son and Ingrey, liking him from first sight, slowly
approaches the path. Then, of course, Ijada takes him firmly in tow in the
right direction... :)

Why does the Son resist passing judgment?  The Son refers to the Father as
> the judicar instead.  Do all souls stand before the Father at some point or
> is it only the ones who are devoted/chosen by the Father?  If so, that
> sounds like uneven application of justice to me.

I think that the god wants to force Ingrey into considering the option that
there are more important things than justice. I also (will elaborate
further) have just thought of a very specific reason for the setup. In that,
justice has little to do with anything. Well, not justice as it concerns
Boleso or Ingrey, at any rate.

I am not pleased with the Son shifting the burden of judgment onto a mortal;
> Gods see differently.  And asking Ingrey if he'd rather stand before the
> Father instead sounds like a cop-out: I'll let you out of divine justice if
> you let someone else avoid it as well.  There would be no justice at all if
> that were really the deal.

I get a somewhat different message... if the Father were there instead of
the Son, Ingrey would be worse off.. at the very least without Ijada.
Also... justice will be eventually given out - but at this point there are
things more important to happen and they will increase (at least) Ingrey's
understanding of what justice means. Well, other people's understanding
also.

Does Boleso deserve mercy?

After I read the question about a half-hour ago, a thought appeared to me...
could it be that Boleso was used, in this case, to test Ingrey as a tool -
not just if he _could_ do it, but also if he _would_? I wonder if there were
other shamans like Ingrey, earlier, who failed in the test of mercy - which,
unlike justice, is not really concerned who deserves it - and could not
complete the task? I think the experience of freeing Boleso's soul was the
single most important step in Ingrey's path forward, the one which enabled
him to expand his soul and take the glory (well, herself mentioned he was
meant to be king, so I don't think I am really spoiling anything). (note - I
think falling in love with Ijada the greates step on that path but it is a
process and not a one-time occurrence; also, the wolf ceremony in his youth
was also a major step but he doesn't quite accept it until Boleso's
funeral... )

And, suddenly, at the end of the chapter, we learn the *real* plotline of
> the book: the freeing of the 4000 of Holyfield.  How long have the Gods been
> working towards this one?!?

About four hundred and fifty years, if I am not mistaken. I don't know if
they fully agreed with it as it did happen in the first place...

Greetings:
Kalina
--
You have two hands. One to help yourself and one to help others.