[LMB] Rian's gift to Miles? (A bit of a spoiler relating to Cetaganda)

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon May 8 14:32:25 BST 2006

Desiree Bua wrote:

>>        Welll... last time I checked, I was told (by a reliable source)
>> that
>> human hair does *not*, in fact, contain useable DNA information.
>>        Hmmm.  Google, google, goolge... well!  It appears that this has
>> changed recently.
>>
>>        http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1135104.htm
>

> As far as I know, only the roots contain some usable DNA material, so if
> the
> lock Rian cut off is from the end of the hair no problem for the safety of
> the haut genome

	From the linked article:  "Until now, when the hair root hadn't been
available for analysis, scientists had thought analysing the hair shaft
was of relatively little use as it contained so little DNA.

But isolated strands of hair are often the only clues to human
habitation in ancient times.

Now Gilbert's team said it had developed a method to extract and
sequence ancient DNA from hair shafts."